9.19.2011

*unexpected*

{on friday, my sweet 12 year old lab was rushed to the vet's office. he had symptoms that i had not experienced with him before. i called our vet and explained what was going on and they asked me to come in as soon as possible. this made me panic. to say i was scared would be an understatement. my heart was pounding and i was fighting back the tears as i put noah in the car and proceded to put my hands at 12 and 2 and ride like the wind. the whole ride there all i could think about was my noah. my sweet sweet noah.}
{once we got to the vet, noah got a full body scan. he was poked and probed all over all the while keeping his eye on me. the first thing the vet told me was that he detected a new heart murmur. my own heart dropped. then they took him to the back to take some blood and do other tests. the vet couldn't determine what was going on but he told me he was very concerned with noah's symptoms. this time my heart was in my throat. i mentioned that noah was also having trouble with his back right leg and showed some discomfort when he walked. the doctor said he'd look at him while they were bringing him out front to me. tears were building up in my eyes and i was able to "maintain" my composure until the vet opened the side door and said to me...without taking an x-ray i'd say noah has spinal arthritis. forget maintaining my composure...the flood gates opened. i was told that the results from all the tests would be back in the morning and it could be anything...from something easy to fix to something very serious. he just didn't know. so as i rode home, the past 12 years of noah's life with us flashed in my mind. tears just rolled down my face. i said a quiet prayer for noah and his health, 
praying that he had more time with us.}
{ on saturday, the vet called to let me know that noah has a kidney infection, it's serious but treatable. so the good lord heard my prayer and my sweet boy will hopefully be feeling much better very soon...but something that has stuck with me the last two days is after i got home, i texted my family a picture of noah, asking them to say a prayer for his health. later that day, my sister told me that noah looked so old in his picture. this made my heart hurt. i see noah differently, he still runs and jumps and is so silly. i feel like he hasn't "changed", he hasn't really slowed down. he loves to take a running leap up the deck stairs and wants to chase arden around the yard. i know noah is 12 years old and he's not getting any younger but it's hard for me to think of him as old. to hear someone say he looks old makes me realize that we may only have a couple more years (or less) left with our sweet boy. i have always given him tons of hugs and pats and love through out these past 12 years. he has a very very special place in my heart and i hope he knows that.}

 {i am grateful for the news and that it's something we can easily help with a little medicine. it's just been a huge eye opener for me. i now know that my time with him is limited and i need to give noah a little extra love each day while he's still here with me and b. the lord heard my prayer and answered it. 
thank you so very much lord.}

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so glad they were able to figure out a diagnosis and that it's treatable. Give a good scratch to Noah from me!

sue said...

beautiful photos of your noah. hope he is on the mend soon and back to his silly ways. hugs.

b said...

love you too noah buddy!!!!

Colleen said...

noah look like such a gentle, sweet soul and i absolutely adore that photo of the two of you! i am so relieved to hear that he will be ok. i sometimes make myself sick to my stomach thinking of the day that simon is no longer with us....and he is only 3. it is so hard to lose our furry children but I just try to remind myself that it is worth the hurt we feel when we lose them to have all that joy they bring us for so many years. looking at that photo of the two of you it is evident you have a very special bond. :)

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

What beautiful photos of your boy. Give Noah a big hug for me! (This is all I can choke out, but know that I feel your pain and am sending YOU a big hug too.)

Amy said...

I can relate so well to this. I'm really glad Noah's issue is treatable! My Stella is 7, and I already feel sad sometimes knowing she won't be with us forever. They are the truest companions.

hear.t. and hue said...

this makes me tear up. we have SO BEEN there the past 2 years with daisy [11 1/2]. this summer when she was sick, the kids & i walked her up to our vet. i've never seen the kids more worried & care for her as much as they did. thank God it was only 2 parasites that we were able to treat. BUT the lasting effect of just extra LOVE for daisy has been something special that hasn't gone away. in fact, i am CERTAIN my 11 1/2 year old dog has been thinking "will you PLEASE get the darn kids to LEAVE ME ALONE?" but she seems to be aging backwards. :) i am in love with that picture of his PAWS! FRAME THAT! also ... do not worry about the way he LOOKS. it's the way he FEELS. :) something even us as HUMANS need to remember! love you girl! get well noah!!!!!

kelly said...

Oh Noah, don't scare your mama like that! I adore that photo of you two together. I'm glad things weren't more serious, but you're right - a good wake up call for all us dog lovers that they aren't with us forever and we need to appreciate each day they are. Hugs.