9.04.2011

*the good and the bad*


{so last week i kind of left you hanging....i told you we had some exciting news and we did...but the week didn't end so well. so now i have both good and bad news. what should we start with? let's start with the bad and end with the good...ok? get your favorite cup of coffee or tea...because this is going to be kind of long...}

the bad...
{back in june we were told that our agency would probably run out of EPs in september (emigration permit which is issued by Korea and allows our child to travel to the US, without this, they do not get to travel. period.). b and i felt okay about this because our referral was the very beginning of april. we did not know how many EPs they had left but we felt like we would make the cut off. then in july, our agency (who is not just in atlanta, they are all over the us) informed us that they only had 8 EPs left and 4 of them had all ready been given to other families. they told us that the final 4 would be announced at the end of july. we asked how close we were to getting one and they said we were on the boarder line of not receiving one. we would have to wait until the end of july to see if we made it....so we waited. no news was given at the end of july. we waited all through august...with still no news. then on friday of last week, we received an e-mail from the corporate office. the final 4 EPs would not be issued all together. they were going to be spread out. these final four EPs would be given to Korean Heritage families who had already been matched with a child. the message we received on friday was pretty much read between the lines...Oliver will NOT be coming home this year. as of right now, we have no idea when he will come home. we have no idea how the EPs will be handled next year. to say that this news was hard to deal with is a complete understatement. b and i have been in this program for 30 months and it's had it's ups (in april 2011) and it's downs (all the other months).  friday's news left me with swollen eyes, a snotty nose, a massive headache and a shattered heart. we are still trying to process this and i'm still picking up the pieces of my heart. i can honestly say that i do not look forward to the remainder of this year and all the special holidays that come with it. if i could, i would close my eyes and wake up in 2012. i'm not normally raw with emotions on my blog, but the news we received on friday has left me feeling incredibly angry and sad at the same time. i know b and i will make it through this and one day (i've been saying this for years) we will hold our child for the first time and everything will feel right. i dream about that day...it's the only thing i can do right now.}

the good...
so last week i said i had some exciting news. well...after 7 years of living in our first "starter" home...we decided that we wanted someone else to enjoy it. we put a sign in the front yard on tuesday and now we are waiting for the right person or couple to come along. b and i had been tossing around the idea of a bigger house for a couples years now. it wasn't until recently when we finally decided that there was no better time (and really...as of friday...there is no better time then now). so we will be hopefully moving north of the city some time this year so that b can have a shorter commute and we will have a larger home. our house has given us many memories and as sad as it feels to put a sign in the yard, we are ready to move on. we call it a "fresh start". we hope that this process will not be long and drawn out. we would love to get a new home before the end of the year and start making it our home. what would be really good for us right now is to stay preoccupied with a new house until Oliver comes home. wish us luck...say a prayer or just send some positive vibes our way...we could really use them right now. thanks friends.}


17 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I am so so sorry about the EPs. I just don't know what to say, that is incredibly heartbreaking. I know you are angry and sad and that is completely understandable. Please know that I am thinking of you and am praying that Oliver can be home as soon as possible in the new year.
I know selling the house is bittersweet (we sold our first home a few years ago and I am almost cried when the sign went up) but moving is a huge and exciting undertaking and hopefully it will keep you guys busy. You can get the new house all finished and ready for Ollie!

Bridgette said...

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Psalm 62: 5-7

Praise God that during times of trial, our Father is our refuge! I pray that during this terribly painful wait to bring Oliver home, you will feel God's love surround you. We love you and are praying for you!

Lesley said...

dana- it breaks my heart to know that your heart is breaking. i can not even imagine how earth shattering that news was. how unfair and cruel. i just don't understand but just know that there is a reason. comforting, probably not. perhaps it would be safer for him to travel later. you never know my friend. prayers for you and b. praying for peace and the ability to focus on the now. easier said than done. excited for the fresh start and the excitement that goes with finding a new home. blessings to you. xo

sue said...

hugs, my friend. my heart hurts for you. sending lots of prayers to you and b.

KatolinFamily said...

Dana,
It makes me angry that they keep stringing you along like this! It just isn't right to do to you or to Oliver. Ugh....

On the good side, Jenny showed me pictures of your house and it is stunning! Whoever buys it is going to be so lucky to move into such a beautiful home.

Praying that whoever makes these EP decisions gets some compassion and we can get you another month like April 2011 soon!

Sarah Kate Branine said...

oh, oh, oh.......
my heart is very heavy for you as I read this;-( We have friends, here in Oregon, that just received word from Rwanda that their adoption has come to a halt. They too were expecting to bring home their baby by the end of this summer. I don't even have words to pray for both of your families, so I trust the Ever Living One to intercede for me and for each of you. I'm praying specifically for comfort for today!

Kelly said...

I'm so, so sorry about the EP. ((HUGS))

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

oh dana... my heart hurts to read this, and I can barely see to type in this comment due to the tears I have welling in my eyes for you. I wish I had wise words, or lived close enough to offer a shoulder and a hug... know you and b and o are often in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs friend...

hear.t. and hue said...

so sad. so so sorry things are happening the way they are. :( but i am excited for you. i hope the selling of & the hunting for a HOUSE keeps you hustling & bustling & on your toes from now 'til a good part of 2012. [seriously, i'm joining you in your frustrations even more now because i know that's not the 1st time i've said that ... i feel like i said that in 2009 & 2010. now here we are in 2011. >:( really puts that into perspective for me how long you have been waiting. praying for your heart ache, friend.]

JoJo said...

I am so so sorry about Ollie not coming home this year. I was as hopeful and sure as you when you got your referral. Sometimes this process just doesn't seem fair. Good luck on the house. I hope you sell quickly and find the house of your dreams.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Oh, Dana, I have no words. I'm so sorry, friend, that your sweet Oliver won't be home with you this year. It brings tears to my eyes. Keep dreaming and holding on to the fact that your little one will be home when the time is perfect. Until then, we're all here cheering for you and thinking of you! I wish I could give you a big hug right now.

Kara said...

Dana, I am so sorry that your sweet little Ollie is caught in the ep mess. You and b deserve some good news and positive vibes. You have been through so much on your journey to your son. I hope your house sells quickly and you find your perfect next home and the time until you are holding Oliver flies by. Sending lots of prayers your way!

Amy said...

I just wanted to say how sorry I am. We're still waiting for our referral and have already experienced an unexpected delay. (I'm not even letting myself imagine how long our wait to travel might end up being.) So in some small way, I've also experienced the shock and sorrow of changed expectations in this process, and I have a taste of how very difficult it is. I'm just really sorry. :(

kelly said...

Dana, this totally and completely sucks. No other way to say it. Cuz it does. I'm so sorry your journey to Oliver has been delayed yet again. You guys have had to deal with too many obstacles in what is already a crazy process. I can't wait until you get that TC and get to hug that little boy of yours! Until then, I hope your house sells and that you find something lovely that you can fix up JUST perfect for when Oliver comes home. Hugs, my friend.

Krista said...

Oh D & B... in tears for you - this is JUST NOT FAIR! There. I really wish the agencies would match referrals to EPs avail - that's what they do in Canada - the longest families have to wait for travel is 2 months. When you finally get that Travel Call... I swear you will hear me cheering for you!

Lindsay - Pen and Paint said...

Where the HECK have I been.
Obviously not reading my favorite blogs.

About Oliver. Oh Dana. I am so sorry. I know this waiting continues to be such a battle. I pray for peace as you continue to wait.

About the house. So excited! Praying for the right family to buy it at the right time :)

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I saw your blog on someone's blogroll. Seriously so sorry...we are also caught up in this mess and it's just really hard. Your blog is really adorable...I'm going to make sure to read updates and check out the cuteness on it!

Megan