1.19.2012

*just a dog*

{our vet's office posted a quote similar to this (i added "wo" to the front of the "man" part) 
on facebook yesterday...

From time to time, people tell me,
"lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance traveled,
the time spent, or the costs involved for
...
"just a dog."
Some of my proudest moments have come about with
"just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was
"just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog,"
and in those days of darkness,
the gentle touch of "just a dog"
gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it's "just a dog,"
then you will probably understand phases
like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or
"just a promise."
"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence
of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and
patience that make me a better person.
 I hope that someday they can understand that
it's not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps
me from being "just a woman."
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog."
just smile, because they "just don't understand."


...it got me thinking...my sweet Noah turns 13 this June and just the thought of it brings tears to my eyes. my youngest, Arden will be 8 in September. my dogs mean the world to me. through thick and thin...they have been there for me to lift me up with their wagging tails and sweet smooches...more so now then ever. i feel blessed to have not only my true love, but two loving creatures that God created and i feel honored to be able to take care of them and give them my love back.}

{to me, they are not "just a dog"...they are my family.}

7 comments:

b said...

great post d! it is sooo true, our noah & arden are our family, and i could not imagine life without them! b.

sue said...

i <3 this post. totally agree. our dogs are our family. and i can't even think about life without ours.

Colleen said...

i couldn't have said it any better myself. life without my siimeydoo just wouldn't be the same. he fills my heart with so much joy. :)
such great pics of your furry babies! sooo sweet.

Grama Lynn said...

these words and your thoughts brought "tears to my eyes and my heart,you, Ben, Noah and Arden are such a beautiful family, with more love than most people couldn,t experience in a lifetime-you're all so special to me.....

Kelly said...

Gotta love the doggie love. I, for one, can't live without it. Anyone who ever said they were "just dogs" would get a swift response from me! Your dogs look so sweet...

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Beautiful post. Beautiful.

Grace said...

big hugs to you and your beautiful pups...so much love.