12.12.2013

in time.

I read this post from Ashley's blog this week and it has stuck with me ever since. 
I forwarded it to my sisters because I knew they would be touched by it too. 

Ever since Oliver came home, I have prayed that I would be the best momma I could for him. That I could give him what he needed. I prayed that I could help him be a good person, one that is honest, loving, smart, silly and faithful. I pray on a daily basis that he will feel confident and grounded. I have watched him from the moment he stepped into his room at the old house. Studying the things he showed interest in and the things he didn't give a second look. If he liked looking at books, I bought more books and made sure to read to him (a lot) and take him to places that he would be able to enjoy them. When he started showing interest in trucks and trains, we bought trucks and trains for him to play with, movies for him to watch and books for him to read about the different kinds of trucks and trains. We even took him to places that had trucks and trains he could ride. Now when I say we bought items that he showed interest in, I am not saying that I ran out the next day and got him a ton of new toys, these items would be bought over time and for special occasions. When b introduced him to music and he started to dance, we played more music. b exposed him to all types to feed his love of music. We played music in the car and at home and eventually started to have dance parties. He would request music constantly. We would sing songs like "You Are My Sunshine", "Row Row Row Your Boat" and "Twinkle Little Star" and he would request me to sing them often. With Christmas so close, he's requesting seasonal songs and is really into Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, which he sings "Rudolph the Reindeer Reindeer's" and "Jingle Bells".

After reading Ashley's post, I found myself thinking of Oliver's song. I have been his momma for 20 months (today) and in those 20 months I feel I have tried to encourage him to enjoy the things he's interested in and even the things he's hesitant on. I know that he's young and that trucks and trains can be pretty typical of a little boy but I hope that in the years to come, b and I will be able to help him find his "song" or at least point him in the right direction.

No comments: